Join me on my travelling and nom nomming adventures!
What does one do to scratch that itch of wanderlust when something called “work” gets in the way? I like to fill the gaps from one trip to the next by creating photobooks. It’s a great way to relive the memories, whilst also creating a permanent archive that can be viewed by friends and family. I don’t know about you, but I find it much more satisfying looking at a hard copy selection of the best photos from a trip, than scrolling through hundreds or even thousands of photos on a computer screen.
Another thing I’ve found is that using a few well placed quotes really brings a level of professionalism to a self-made photobook. It’s like the ribbon on a beautifully wrapped present, or the icing on the cake. Here are a few quotes I’ve found that are great for travel photobooks or simply to inspire you to go wandering – 1 for every week of the year!
1. The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page (St Augustine)
2. Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
3. It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end (Ernest Hemingway)
4. The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes (Marcel Proust)
5. Own always what you can carry with you: know languages, know countries, know people. Let your memory be your travel bag. (Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn)
6. All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware (Martin Buber)
7. The greatest reward and luxury of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time, to be in a position in which nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted (Bill Bryson)
8. When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and all your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money. (Susan Heller)
9. The traveler sees what he sees. The tourist sees what he has come to see. (G.K. Chesterton)
10. A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step (Lao Tzu)
11. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than the ones you did do. So sail away from the safe harbour. Explore. Dream. Discover. (Mark Twain)
12. There is no moment of delight in any pilgrimage like the beginning of it (Charles Dudley Warner)
13. Travelling is almost like talking with men of other centuries (Rene Descartes)
14. Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living. (Miriam Beard)
15. Travel is the frivolous part of serious lives; and the serious part of frivolous ones (Anne Sophie Swetchine)
16. If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home (James Michener)
17. Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and celebrate the journey (Fitzhugh Mullan)
18. Not all those who wander are lost (J.R.R. Tolkien)
19. We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open. (Jawaharal Nehru)
20. To travel is to take a journey into yourself (Danny Kaye)
21. When you’re travelling, ask the traveller for advice; not someone whose lameness keeps him in one place (Rumi)
22. There are only two emotions in a plane: boredom and terror (Orson Welles)
23. He who would travel happily must travel light (Antoine de Saint Exupery)
24. The wise traveller knows not to repeat successes but tries new places all the time (Paul Fussell)
25. People travel to faraway places to watch, in fascination, the kind of people they ignore at home (Dagobert D. Runes)
26. A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it. (John Steinbeck)
27. Your true traveller finds boredom rather agreeable than painful. It is the symbol of his liberty – his excessive freedom. He accepts his boredom, when it comes, not merely philosophically, but almost with pleasure. (Aldous Huxley)
28. One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things (Henry Miller)
29. A traveler without observation is a bird without wings (Moslih Eddin Saadi)
30. Our happiest moments as tourists always seem to come when we stumble upon one thing while in pursuit of something else (Lawrence Block)
31. A journey is best measured in friends, rather than miles (Tim Cahill)
32. I have found out that there ain’t no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them (Mark Twain)
33. Once you have traveled, the voyage never ends, but is played out over and over again in the quiestest chambers. The mind can never break off from the journey. (Pat Conroy)
34. Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind (Seneca)
35. I soon realized that no journey carries one far unless, as it extends into the world around us, it goes an equal distance into the world within (Lillian Smith)
36. When you travel, remember that a foreign country is not designed to make you comfortable. It is designed to make its own people comfortable. (Clifton Fadiman)
37. Travel, in the younger sort, is a part of education; in the elder, a part of experience (Francis Bacon)
38. Remember what Bilbo used to say: “It’s a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don’t keep your feet, there’s no knowing where you might be swept off to.” (J.R.R. Tolkien)
39. Experience, travel – these are as education in themselves (Euripides)
40. Take only memories, leave only footprints (Chief Seattle)
41. To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world (Freya Stark)
42. I met a lot of people in Europe. I even encountered myself (James Baldwin)
43. The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready (Henry David Thoreau)
44. Two roads diverged in a wood and I – I took the one less traveled by (Robert Frost)
45. Better far off to leave half the ruins and nine-tenths of the churches unseen and to see well the rest (Augustus Hare)
46. A man of ordinary talent will always be ordinary, whether he travels or not; but a man of superior talent will go to pieces if he remains forever in the same place (Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart)
47. The traveler was active; he went strenuously in search of people, of adventure, of experience. The tourist is passive; he expects interesting things to happen to him. He goes “sight-seeing.” (Daniel J. Boorstin)
48. For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return. (Leonardo da Vinci)
49. Wherever you go, go with all your heart (Confucius)
And here are a couple of kid specific ones.
51. Two of the greatest gifts we can give our children are roots and wings (Hodding Carter)
52. There are no seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child. There are seven million. (Walt Streightiff)
Which of these quotes resonated most with you? Do you know of any other inspiring quotes you’d like to share?
Australian Traveller that loves to "Roam" our globe, creator of ENDLESSROAMING.COM sharing the experience through word and photography. Currently residing in my home of Newtown Sydney but hope to be back on the road late 2020. Feedback / questions are more than welcome, happy travels
A Blog for all things Food, Travel and Lifestyle
Explore breathtaking new places and immerse into different cultures through my lens. Travel guides, travel tips, hidden gems and lots of things to do in each destination!
A blog that explores anything green tea.
Fine places in France and around the world.
Travel Anecdotes. Told Colloquially.
Books written by flash packers for the savvy traveller.
|| Food vs. Style||
Magazine of a Storyteller... articles about world cultures, travel, and recipes with a twist and tango ♪ ♪ ♪ ...
Enjoying good food.
Bringing Stories Home
Colourful Good Food & Positive Lifestyle
Feeding a hungry family!
Brightening Life with Homemade Desserts & Delicious Sweet Treats ~
Explore Sonoma County's beauty through wine, food, music, hiking, and photography.
coffee culture, Cities, trends, roasters, love, health food, nut bars, communities,